Designing your outdoor living space
Sorensen Outdoor Services now offers comprehensive 3D landscape design services to map your outdoor living project from start to finish. The planning phase is important for creating an outdoor living space as it establishes the vision for construction. The planning phase can be difficult for a homeowner as many contractors are often brought in over time that do not consider the construction phases of the remaining features that are desired in the future. Oftentimes, this leads to a less than desired finished product due to inadequate planning of early phases of execution.
Some common features that require a thought out approach from the beginning are:
- Pool placement and construction
- Composite Deck Shape and size
- Patio shape, size and materials
- Landscape Lighting
- Pergolas and pavilions
Our landscape design process takes all of these features into account and maps a path forward for immediate construction or a more phased approach to save time and money over the course of the project. Aside from pool construction, all of the services listed above are now available in house for a comprehensive backyard project.
How does the design process work?
- The first step of the design process is a phone consultation to discuss your ideas and determine if we are the right fit for the project. We will discuss the timeline, budget, goals and intentions on this phone call.
- The second step is a site visit. Our site visits consist of an evaluation of the property and potential layout of amenities and materials used. A property plat should be provided by the homeowner to establish property lines and dimensions of the home. We will also take photos of the property from the ground and air with a drone to scale existing features that will be incorporated in the design.
- The third step is to create a 3D rendering. This step in the process takes 2-4 weeks to create. On average, a backyard rendering takes 40-60 hours of computer time to create.
- The fourth step is presentation. The design will be emailed for your review 2-4 days prior to a second on site meeting to discuss the locations of features. Changes to the design and layout can be discussed at this meeting. This may take several revisions to land at the final design.
- The fifth step is pricing the project and establishing phases. On average this takes 1-2 weeks to establish pricing for one or multi phased construction. From here, the quotes and contracts are established for construction.
- The final step is setting a date to begin construction! Your back yard is on its way.
As you can see, this process can take 4-6 weeks before a contract is signed. It is important to consider this in your timeline for installation of your backyard oasis!
How much do design services cost?
A homeowner can expect to pay between 2-3% of the cost of the project in design services. While this may seem like a substantial upfront investment, it will likely save 5 or more percent over the course of an outdoor living space. We are oftentimes called into a project once the deck has been completed or a pool has been installed. Our job is then to extend upon existing features. With proper planning, a vision can be brought to life without overlap from multiple contractors.